1. The Name of the LORD, our God.
- Exodus 3:13-15 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.” God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, The LORD, the God of your fathers — the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob — has sent me to you. This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.”
- Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
- Psalm 20:7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
- Psalm 113:1-3 From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised.
- Proverbs 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.
2. The knowledge of God and His Character is more essential for the Christian than anything else.
- When Moses received the commission to be the deliverer for God’s people enslaved in Egypt (Exodus 3:13), he asked God to reveal His Name.
- It was the prayer of Jesus in John 17:3… Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- It was Paul’s great goal in life to “know Him.” Philippians 3:10
- We will experience God only in proportion to our knowledge of Him (John 8:19; 14:9-14).
3. A name in Scripture often described a person’s character or a unique quality.
- The Old Testament contains a number of names and compound names for God which reveal Him some aspect of His character and dealings with mankind.
- In the Disciples’ prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11, “hallowed be Your Name” (Greek: anoma meaning character), we are really saying, “How we admire Your character.”
OVERVIEW OF THE OLD TESTAMENT NAMES OF GOD
1. Elohim – God, Our Mighty Creator, Covenant God | Genesis 1 and throughout the Old Testament; John 1:1-5, 10-13)
2. El-Shaddai – The Mighty God | Genesis 17:1-2 and throughout the Old Testament; Matthew 14:13-33)
3. Adonai – The Lord our Master | Genesis 15:1-8; Daniel 9:3-19; Malachi 1:6; John 13:12-17
4. El Elyon – The Supreme, Most High God | Genesis 14:22; Daniel 4:34-35
5. El Olam – The Everlasting, Eternal God Who does not change | Genesis 21:33; Malachi 3:5-7; Hebrews 13:8
6. Jehovah – LORD- The Self-existent, Holy, Righteous and Loving God throughout the Old Testament | Exodus 6:2-3
7. Jehovah-Jireh – The LORD our Provider | Genesis 22:1-9
8. Jehovah-Rophe – The LORD our Healer | Exodus 15:22-27
9. Jehovah-Nissi – The LORD our Banner | Exodus 17:8-16
10. Jehovah-Sabaoth – The LORD of Hosts | 1 Samuel 17:45; Haggai 2:4-9, 23)
11. Jehovah-M’Kaddesh – The LORD our Sanctifier |Leviticus 20:8
14. Jehovah-Rohi – The LORD our Shepherd | Psalm 23
15. Jehovah-Shammah – The LORD IS THERE | Ezekiel 48:35