1 Corinthians 12:4-6 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.DISCOVERING A MEANINGFUL PLACE OF SERVICE
Many of us use the “trial & error” method of finding our place in the Body of Christ – motion without movement. This may eventually lead to a meaningful place of service, but there’s a better way! God has gifted all of us in multiple ways to accomplish His will in and through us by serving Him in line with our passion, gifts and personality.
Notice the illustration below showing three main areas of our lives that need to be identified and applied. In this way we will be able to make a significant impact in the Kingdom of God by being who God created us to be and doing His Will with results.
1. Our PASSION tells us WHERE we can best focus our energy (Motivation). It is the area in which we desire to make a significant impact. (Unwed mothers, child evangelism, family, etc.)
2. Our SPIRITUAL GIFTS tell us WHAT we do best in the Kingdom of God (Ability). These are spiritual abilities and activities which give us tremendous joy. (Prophecy, Evangelism, Helps, Mercy, etc.)
3. Our PERSONAL STYLE of ministry or temperament tells us HOW we will serve using our passion and gifts (Confidence). This is our own unique personality. Each person is uniquely “wired” in the way they respond to situations and people. Knowing your personality or temperament will help you to understand what kind of work environment is helpful to you. As well, it will help you to know how to work with others with different personalities. (Task/people oriented, structured/unstructured)
Identifying our Spiritual Gifts requires an extensive survey. Because of that we will simply address the process of identifying our passion. Please contact us if you desire the complete set of notes which include the Passion, Spiritual Gifts & Personal Style Surveys.
IDENTIFYING OUR PASSION
Notice Solomon’s passion to govern God’s people with wisdom in 2 Chronicles 1:7-12…
That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” Solomon answered God, “…Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?” God said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have.”
DEFINITION – Passion is the God-given desire that compels us to make a difference in a particular area of life or in a ministry. It answers the WHERE issue.
Go through the following questions and honestly take time to identify where your passion may lie. This will require a time with no distractions.
Reflect on the following Questions. On separate sheets of paper, answer the following questions. Do not answer these questions in light of what others may want you to say, make them totally yours.
1. What people group do have a deep burden for (infants, teenagers, homeless, inmates, etc.)? What social issue greatly burdens you (AIDS, oppression, reaching the lost at home or abroad, et.)?
2. If you knew you couldn’t fail and would have the necessary resources, what would you do? Be specific.
3. What situation do you see that concerns you which, if changed, would be more glorifying to God and help others?
4. What do you truly and genuinely care about? Identify those things.
5. At the end of your life you have peace knowing that you’d done something about…
6. List the top most meaningful and positive life experiences at home, work, school, etc. Briefly describe what you achieved and why it meant so much to you.
7. In light of the information above, write a brief paragraph stating what YOU believe to be your God-given passion and purpose in life.
8. What do you need to start doing now to get to where God wants you to be? Write three goals and attach a due date to each one.
NOTE – Contact us if you desire to have a complete set of notes which includes the Passion, Spiritual Gifts and Personal Style of Ministry surveys.