Many of God’s people live a life where visible miracles seem to be non-existent or scarce at best. Yet God, who is a miracle working God and cannot do anything EXCEPT by a miracle, desires to bring us into a “partnership” where the miraculous is commonplace. We also tend to overlook a basic principle: we must act BEFORE we see the provision or the miracle!
As well, the teaching that miracles are the result of a “power” harnessed through faith is a “New Age” teaching and false! They are the result of living for the One who performs the miraculous! Note the following principles…
1. Forget predictable formulas, God does each miracle differently!
- God told David not to advance against his enemies until he heard a rustling in the top of the trees. (1 Chronicles 14:15)
- Jesus made mud from his spit, rubbed the man’s eyes and told him to wash. (John 9:1-12)
2. Miracles are always the answer to a deep need. Period.
3. Miracles are bigger than we are and require more than we have, yet God wants to use what we have, as insignificant as that may seem.
- Moses and his rod before Pharaoh. (Exodus 4:1-17)
- Nehemiah rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem using the rubble and the people. (Nehemiah 4)
- Jesus and the loaves and fish. (Matthew 13:14-21; Luke 9:10-17; Mark 6:30-44; John 6:1-14)
4. Miracles begin with God speaking to us.
- If we are not in a position to hear from the Lord (making time, restructuring our calendar to His, etc.) we cannot really expect a miracle.
5. Miracles can only happen with the Power of God as we submit to Him.
- When Jesus’ disciples could not cast out a demon, he stated that the miraculous can only be experienced by prayer and fasting and in intimate relationship with Him. (Mark 9:14-29)
6. Miracles (can) transform our life, our thinking, our behavior, etc.
- Only one of the ten lepers was changed not just healed. (Luke 17:11-19)
7. All miracles have a greater purpose than to simply benefit us.
- In Genesis 12:1-2 God said to Abraham, “I will bless you… and you will be a blessing.”
8. Miracles glorify God and the Kingdom of God.
- In Acts 4:13-22 the disciples praised God for the great miracle He had done!
9. If you are convinced God has spoken and there have been confirmations, DON’T GIVE UP!
- At the Red Sea God said to stand firm and see the deliverance of God! (Exodus 14:13)
- Again, when Israel faced an overwhelming enemy God said to stand firm and see the deliverance of God! (2 Chronicles 20:17)
10. Be willing to be the one through whom God wants to perform a miracle.